Recipient of the Bernard Brenman Archaeology in Alexandria Award by the Mayor and Alexandria City Council, 2010
Recipient of the Virginia Genealogical Society's Records Award, 2008
Recipient of the National Genealogical Society's Award of Merit, 2007
Recipient of the Virginia Genealogical Society's Fellow Award, 2005
Recipient of the Alexandria City History Award by the Mayor and Alexandria City Council, 2000
Recipient of the Sons of the American Revolution's Bronze Good Citizenship Medal, 1998
WORKS IN PROGRESS
- King and Queen County, Virginia Cemeteries. Volume 1 (Church Cemeteries). In Process.
- 300 Years of Tappahannock, Virginia Land Owners: Chain of Title of Town Lots. In process.
Send me an email to see if I have copies, or perhaps order from Heritage Books, 1-800-876-6103, for publications below.
- Alexander Family: Migrations From Maryland. 2012. x, 193 pages. $35.00 postpaid.
- John Alexander: A Northern Neck Proprietor, His Family, Friends and Kin (Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, Inc., 1990). xvi, 450 pages. Out of print.
- Pippenger and Pittenger Families: A Genealogical History of the Descendants of William Pippenger of New Jersey, and Allied Families (Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, Inc., 1988); reprinted 2004.
- Tappahannock and Essex County, Virginia in Early Photographs. 2014. 204 pages. $49.95 plus $5.05 postage and/or 5.3% VA sales tax. More Information!
- King and Queen County, Virginia Marriage Records: Transcripts of Consents, Affidavits, Minister Returns, and Marriage Licenses, Volume 2: 1875-1886. 2013. 361 pages. $45.00 postpaid.
- King and Queen County, Virginia Marriage Records: Transcripts of Consents, Affidavits, Minister Returns, and Marriage Licenses, Volume 1: 1853-1874. 2013. 383 pages. $45.00 postpaid.
- Essex County, Virginia Marriage Records, Volume 2 - 1873-1883. 2013. 377 pages. $40.00 postpaid. Transcripts of Consents, Affidavits, Minister Returns, and Marriage Licenses.
- Virginia's Lost Wills: An Index. 2013. 286 pages. $35.00 postpaid. Wills from burned counties, found far away from origin, or those abstracted in publications.
- Essex County, Virginia Cemeteries, Volume 2 - Tappahannock Cemeteries. 2012. 192 pages. $35.00 postpaid.
- Essex County, Virginia Death Records, 1856-1896. 2011. 230 pages. $30.00 postpaid.
- Essex County, Virginia Marriage Records, Volume 1 - 1850-1872. 2011. 377 pages. $40.00 postpaid. Transcripts of Consents, Affidavits, Minister Returns, and Marriage Licenses.
- Essex County, Virginia Cemeteries, Volume 1 - County Church Cemeteries. 2011. 424 pages. $45.00 postpaid. Covering 35 county church sites in Essex County.
- Essex County, Virginia Newspaper Notices, Volume 2, 1736-1952. 2010. 289 pages. $35.00 postpaid.
- Essex County, Virginia Newspaper Notices, Volume 1, 1738-1938. 2009. 277 pages. $35.00 postpaid.
- Marriage and Death Notices from Alexandria, Virginia Newspapers, 1784-1852, 2 Volumes. 2005. 648+662 pages.
- Tombstone Inscriptions of Alexandria, Virginia (Volume 5) 2005. Covers Alexandria National (Soldiers) Cemetery, St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, St. Paul's Episcopal Church Cemetery, and an Addendum to previous volumes. xii, 562 pages.
- [WB2819] The Virginia Gazette and Alexandria Advertiser, Vol. I, September 3, 1789 to November 11, 1790. 2002. vi+294 pages.
- [WB0402] Index to Alexandria City and Arlington County, Virginia Records, Volume 2. 2001. xii+429 pages.
- [WB0300] Index to Alexandria City and Arlington County, Virginia Records, Volume 1. 2001. xviii+446 pages.
- [WB2836] The Virginia Journal and Alexandria Advertiser, Vol. IV, February 8, 1787 to May 21, 1789. 2001.
- [WB1974] Connections and Separations: Divorce, Name Change and Other Genealogical Tidbits in the Virginia Acts of Assembly. 2000.
- [WB1961] The Virginia Journal and Alexandria Advertiser, Vol. III, March 2, 1786 to January 25, 1787. 2000.
- [T7379] The Virginia Journal and Alexandria Advertiser, Vol. II, February 3, 1785 to January 26, 1786. 1999. 344 pages.
- [T1556] The Virginia Journal and Alexandria Advertiser, Vol. I, February 5, 1784 to January 27, 1785. 1998. viii, 268 pages. All names, places, events indexed--in fact, all nouns are indexed! Contains verbatim transcript of all Alexandria advertisements and articles, and abstracts of foreign news.
- [WB2127] Alexandria, Virginia 1808 Census (Wards One, Two, Three and Four). 2000. Tabular format, map, 87 pages.
- [T7325] Alexandria, Virginia Hustings Court Orders, Vol. I, March 9, 1780 to July 21, 1787. 1999. 256 pages.
- [T6363] Alexandria, Virginia Marriage Index, January 10, 1893 to August 31, 1905. 1999. 179 pages.
- [T0780] Alexandria, Virginia Marriages, 1870-1892. 1994. Taken from licenses, marriage registers, and supplemented with church records. List of ministers. xviii+311 pages.
- [T0769] Alexandria County (Arlington), Virginia Marriage Records, 1853-1895. 1994. xxiv+326 pages.
- [T0879] Alexandria, Virginia Wills, Administrations and Guardianships, 1786-1800. 1994. iv, 63 pages.
- [WB0496] Husbands and Wives Associated With Early Alexandria, Virginia (And the Surrounding Area). 1991, 1992, 3rd Edition 2001. xvi+191 pp.
- [T1179] Early Church Records of Alexandria City and Fairfax County, Virginia. 1996. Co-author with F. Edward Wright. vi, 182 pages.
- [T1157] Alexandria, Virginia Town Lots, 1749-1801, Together With Proceedings of the Board of Trustees, 1749-1780. 1996. Co-author with Constance K. Ring. iv, 218 pages. Chain of title of early town lots from extant court records; full transcript of the trustees' minutes.
- [T1019] Alexandria, Virginia Death Records, 1863-1868 (The Gladwin Record) and 1869-1896. 1995. xxiv, 337 pages. Particularly significant is the data from Rev. Albert Gladwin who was superintendent of the contraband cemetery, formerly on South Washington Street. Also included is a map of Alexandria during the 1860-1870 era, devised by the author and John Huennekens.
- [T0839] Alexandria (Arlington) County, Virginia Death Records, 1853-1896. 1994. xix, 108 pages.
- [T0915] Legislative Petitions of the Town and County of Alexandria, Virginia, 1778-1861. 1995. vi+196 pages.
- [T0740] Tombstone Inscriptions of Alexandria, Virginia (Volume 4). 1993. Covers Bethel Cemetery (1885) and its charter, by-laws, rules and regulations. Separate plan. iv+503 pages.
- [T0616] Tombstone Inscriptions of Alexandria, Virginia (Volume 3). 1992. Discusses the boundaries of the town and city of Alexandria,
1749-1915 and areas annexed by Alexandria in 1915 and 1929. Abandoned, threatened or destroyed cemeteries covered: Auld Family Cemetery (c.1843); Proposed Black Cemetery (c.1839) and map of a portion of Spring Garden Farm; Black Baptist Cemetery (1885), including a Southern Railway Plat (1897)and Griffith M. Hopkins Map (1877); Bloxham Cemetery (c.1837); Dove Family Cemetery and plat of cemetery site; Fendall Family Cemetery (ante 1805); Freedmen's (or Contraband) Cemetery (1864); Goings Family Cemetery (c.1831) and division of the John Going(s) estate (1903); Howard Family Cemetery (c.1831); Independent Meeting House Graveyard; Moore-Holland Cemetery (post 1874) and plat of Maggie Shorts estate (1927); Penny Hill Cemetery (1795); Poole tombstones; Preston and Summer Hill Graveyards; Quaker Cemetery (1784); St. Asaph Street tombstones; Shuters Hill Cemetery (ante 1795); Spa (or Chalybeate) Spring Cemetery; Terrett Family Cemetery; Trisler Family Cemetery; and one unknown. Others covered:
Christ Episcopal Church Cemetery (1808) and Graveyard (c.1767); Douglass Memorial Cemetery (c.1895); Lebanon Union Church Cemetery (c.1866); Oakland Baptist Church Cemetery (c.1897); Summers Family Cemetery (c.1790); and Theological Seminary Cemetery (1876). iv+228 pages.
- [T0590] Tombstone Inscriptions of Alexandria, Virginia (Volume 2). 1992. Covers: Freedmen's (or Contraband) Cemetery (1864); Union Cemetery of the Methodist Episcopal Church South (1860); and Methodist Protestant Cemetery (c.1833). viii+248 pages.
- [T0547] Tombstone Inscriptions of Alexandria, Virginia (Volume 1). 1992; rev. 1993. $17.50 post paid. Covers: First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (1809) and Graveyard (1773); Trinity United Methodist Church Cemetery (1808); Home of Peace Cemetery (1860); Agudas Achim Cemetery (1993); and Penny Hill Cemetery (c.1796). 201 pages.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- District of Columbia Marriage Records Index, August 31, 1896 to December 17, 1900 (Marriage Record Books 41 to 65). (2009). $32.00 postpaid.
- District of Columbia Marriage Records Index, January 20, 1892 to August 30, 1896 (Marriage Record Books 31 to 40). (2009). $32.00 postpaid.
- Index to District of Columbia Land Records, 1792-1817. (2009). $45.00 postpaid.
- Index to District of Columbia Estates, 1802-1929 (2008).
- Oak Hill Cemetery, Georgetown, D.C.: Monument Inscriptions and Burial Data, Parts One and Two. $150 post paid. Order from Oak Hill Cemetery, 3001 R St., N.W., Washington, DC 20007.
- [P3194] Dead People on the Move: Reconstructing the Presbyterian Burying Ground, Holmead's (Western) Burying Ground, and Other Removals in the District of Columbia (2005). 546 pages.
- [P3186] District of Columbia Foreign Deaths, 1888-1923 (2005). 298 pages.
- [M3201] Index and Reprinting of Sally Somervell Mackall's The Early Days of Washington (1899). 2004. 261 pages.
- [P3171] National Intelligencer, Index to Death Notices, 1855-1870. 2004. v+136 pages.
- [P0945HB] Georgetown, D.C. Marriage and Death Notices, 1801-1838. 2004. 330 pages.
- [1431WB] District of Columbia Marriage Records Index, October 20, 1885 to January 20, 1892. 2003. 511 pages.
- [WB0255] Chronicles of Georgetown [D.C.], by Richard Jackson, New Index by Pippenger. 2001.
- [T2205] Georgetown, D.C., 1850 Federal Census and 1853 Directory. 1999. statistical charts, map, 236 pages.
- [T7827] District of Columbia, Original Land Owners, 1791-1800. 1999. maps, 156 pages.
- [T7828] District of Columbia Interments (Index to Deaths), January 1, 1855 to July 31, 1874. 1999. 440 pages.
- [T1385] District of Columbia Death Records, August 1, 1874 to July 31, 1879. 1997. xx+390 pages. Lists place of burial which is particularly important for the many destroyed cemeteries in the District of Columbia.
- [T1805] The Georgetown Courier, Marriage and Death Notices, Georgetown, District of Columbia, November 18, 1865 to May 6, 1876. 1998. 206 pages.
- [T7574] Daily National Intelligencer, Washington, D.C., Marriage and Death Notices, January 1, 1851 to December 30, 1854. 1999. 346 pages.
- [WB2617] District of Columbia Marriage Records Index, June 28, 1877 to October 19, 1885 (Marriage Record Books 11 to 20). 1997. xxiv, 519 pages.
- [T1788] District of Columbia Marriage Licenses, Register 2, 1858-1870. 1996. 494 pages. Additional Information.
- [T0832] District of Columbia Marriage Licenses, Register 1, 1811-1858. (1994), 2000. xiii+664 pages. This work is important for Alexandria genealogical research in that the District had the only area court open for business during parts of the Civil War. Additional Information.
- [T1334] District of Columbia Ancestors: A Guide to Records of the District of Columbia. (1997), 2000. xxiv+105 pages. Gives details about location of original document and microfilm source materials. Some offices or records locations have changed since the printing of this publication.
- [T1251] District of Columbia Probate Records, Will Books 1 through 6, 1801-1852, and Estate Files, 1801-1852. 1996. xxxvii+526 pages.
- [T7177] Proceedings of the Orphans' Court, City and County of Washington, District of Columbia, 1801-1808. 1998. 94 pages.
- Proceedings of the Orphans' Court, City and County of Washington, District of Columbia, 1815-1816, 1818. 1998. iii+51 pages.
- [T2168] District of Columbia Guardianship Index, 1802-1928. 1998. 402 pages.
Serial and Other
- "The Poor of Essex County, Virginia," with Suzanne P. Derieux, in Essex County Museum and Historical Society Bulletin, April 2011.
- Index to Virginia Estates, 1800-1865, Volumes 1-10 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia Genealogical Society, 2001-2009).
- "Your Life on the Front Lawn," Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, April 2004.
- Death Notices From Richmond, Virginia Newspapers, 1841-1853 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia Genealogical Society, 2002).
- Marriage and Death Notices from The Alexandria Herald, 1811-1825. Completed 2002, sent to Fred Dorman for publication in The Virginia Genealogist.
- "Along the Potomac River: Extracts from the Maryland Gazette, 1728-1799," by Edith M. Sprouse. Manuscript indexing and preparation by Pippenger. Order from Willow Bend Books.
- Marriage (and Death) Notices from the Alexandria Gazette, 1784-1830. Submitted May 2001 for serial publication in the Magazine of Virginia Genealogy.
- "Playing With Dead People," National Genealogical Society Newsletter, March/April 2000.
- "Oak Hill Cemetery: The Final Heartbeat of a Seaport Town," in News from Oak Hill, 1849 - 150th Anniversary - 1999.
- Data submitted in September 1999 to the Library of Virginia for the Virginia Genealogical Society's Death Record Indexing Project, for records of Alexandria (Arlington) County and Alexandria City.
- Bible Records of the Bernard Family, submitted to the Magazine of Virginia Genealogy (Richmond, Va.: Virginia Genealogical Society), Vol. 37 No. 3
- "The Bible Record of John McKnight, Alexandria, Virginia" submitted March 1999, to Northern Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 4 No. 3 (Summer 1999)
- Marriage Notices From Richmond, Virginia Newspapers, 1841-1853 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1997). Compiled on behalf of the Virginia Genealogical Society.
- "Alexandria, Virginia Life in 1850: The Diary of Ella Hooe Fowle (1832-1855)," see the Magazine of Virginia Genealogy.
- "Alexandria County, Virginia Apprenticeship Indentures, 1808-1817." The Virginia Genealogist (Falmouth, Va.: John Frederick Dorman), Vol. 30 No. 2 (April-June 1995) to Vol. 40 No. 1 (January-March 1996).
- "John Mercer and His Land Book." Magazine of Virginia Genealogy (Richmond, Va.: Virginia Genealogical Society), Vol. 34 No. 2 (Spring 1996) to present.
- "Ministers and Clergy Around Alexandria, Virginia (Before the 20th Century)." Northern Virginia Genealogy (Lovettsville, Va.: Craig Roberts Scott), Vol. 1 No. 1 (January 1996) to Vol 1 No. 3 (July 1996).
- "Perils of a Respectable Family." The Fireside Sentinel (Alexandria, Va.: Lloyd House), Vol. V No. 5 (May 1991), pp. 57-61.
Research previously performed, chiefly at the request of clients, has included the following families:
ALEXANDER (Eastern Shore, Md.; Augusta and
Rockingham counties, Va.);
ANDREWS (D.C. and nearby Maryland); BARNES (D.C. and surrounding area); BEAVENS/BEVANS (Eastern Shore, Md.);
BOWIE (Georgetown, D.C. and Montgomery Co., Md.);
BREWER (Fairfax Co., Va. and D.C.);
CAPEHART (Amelia Co., Va.; North Carolina);
CHEEK (D.C. and Shenandoah Valley, Va.);
COWARDIN (Richmond, Va.);
CRAIG (Bladensburg, Md.);
DANT (D.C. and St. Mary's Co., Md.);
DAVIS (Powhatan Co., Va.; Richmond, Va.);
DEEBLE (D.C. and Alexandria);
FAULCONER (Little Egypt, Essex Co., Va.);
GUNNELL (Primarily Fairfax and Westmoreland counties, Va.; Md.; England);
HOLLINGSWORTH (Georgetown, D.C.);
HOLTZMAN (D.C. and Frederick Co., Md.);
HOWE (Richmond, Va.; Sudbury, Middlesex Co., Mass.);
JONES (Little Egypt, Essex Co., Va.);
MADISON (D.C.; Alexandria; Culpeper, Madison and Orange counties, Va.);
McCLEISH (Alexandria); McKNIGHT (Alexandria);
MILLER, HEDRICK and BARRY (Va., Kan., and Mo.);
MURRAY (Falls Church, Va.);
NEWTON (Alexandria, Va.; D.C.; St. Mary's Co., Md.);
NICHOLS (Georgetown, D.C.);
PEERS (Alexandria, Va.);
PRICE (D.C., Alexandria);
QUARLES (King William Co., Va.);
SEVIER (Georgetown, D.C.); and
Mr. Pippenger is or has been a member of the following organizations:
Association of Professional Genealogists
Alexandria Historical Society
Arlington Historical Society; Newsletter Editor, 1994-1995
Board for Certification of Genealogists
Essex County (Virginia) Museum and Historical Society
Fairfax County (Virginia) Genealogical Society
Fairfax County (Virginia) Historical Society
Friends of Alexandria Archaeology
Friends of Local History [formerly Lloyd House] (Alexandria, Virginia); Vice-President, 1998-2001
Friends of the Virginia State Archives
Historical Society of Washington (D.C.)
King & Queen County Historical Society
King William Historical Society, Life Member
Loudoun County Genealogical Society
Mid-Atlantic Archives Conference
National Genealogical Society
Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society
Northern Virginia Association for History
Northumberland County, Virginia Historical Society
Oak Hill Cemetery, Georgetown, D.C., Board of Managers, Secretary, 2006-present
Sons of the American Revolution, George Washington Chapter
Virginia Genealogical Society; Life Member, President, 1997-1999
Virginia Historical Society
Last Updated: June 28, 2014